Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book #1: The Lincoln Lawyer

Approximately 2 weeks ago, I blogged about my three New Years Resolutions.  I'm doing remarkably well with two of them: I've been cooking and baking up a storm and have been reading pretty consistently. Admittedly, I have done a pretty horrbile job on my third resolution, but if you guys only knew the kind of anticipation I have building up for a Monday not too far from now you'd understand why I'm a worry wart as of late.

Anyway, as promised, I am going to do a little book review for every book I read.  I also promised to post some of the recipes I've made and those posts are coming ... PROMISE.

Want your mouth to salivate a little in anticipation though?

Cornmeal cheddar waffles with chicken a la king on top.  DELICIOUS. 

Even my husband said he was full because he ate so much of it.  You guys don't technically KNOW Evan, but the fact that he said he was full is beyond amazing.  I think it's the first time he's said it in the nearly 9 years that we've been together.

On to my first book review of the year:

Book Review: the Lincoln Lawyer
Grade: B



How Long Did it Take to Read: I read the Lincoln Lawyer over a span of about two weeks.  It's a relatively quick read and could easily be done in a long weekend if you had the time.

Why I Read It: I wanted to read this book for a few reasons: (1) they're making a movie about it (starring Matthew McConaughey) that will be released on March 18th.  I wanted to read it before seeing the movie.  That way I could be the typical movie goer and say "the book is SO much better."  (2) I'm obviously a sucker for lawyer books.  I always have been. It's part of the reason I wanted to go to law school.  They were always my favorite books to read. (3) I've had the book for YEARS and never read it.  It was time.


First Thoughts: The book starts off pretty typical for lawyer books: theatrical.  This is probably my biggest complaint about it.  I almost feel as though Connelly wrote it with the INTENTION of it being a movie a few years later.  I read it and think to myself "Goodness, I hope others that read this don't think all lawyers are like this."

Plot: The plot of the book is as follows: An Attorney, Mickey Haller, is notorious for being the son of a very famous attorney that passed when Mickey was young.  Mickey tries to be the great attorney in his father's footsteps, however, he usually goes about this in the most unusual of ways by defending drug dealers and gangsters.  In fact, he drives in a Lincoln because it was a fee payment from one of his clients (get the title now?).  The main client in the book however is a very wealthy real estate guru who is wanted for rape and attempted murder.  Pretty quickly in the book (so NO this isn't a spoiler alert) you realize that this rich real estate guru is in fact a pretty messed up man who isn't innocent in the slightest.  In fact, Mickey starts realizing that his client probably was related to past murders he had dealt with.  The main dilemma and plot of the book question how Mickey will handle it all.  Will he still get his client off even though he knows of his guilt?  How will he ensure that his family is safe?  etc.

At the End: The last ten or so pages of the book are the ones that have you go "oh shit."  There's a little twist that while not completely shocking at least left you saying "huh, shoulda seen that one coming!"  I really did enjoy the book.  I recommend it to someone that wants a legal thriller.  Once I was about 200 pages in, I didn't really put it down until I finished.

Why a B: I didn't give it an A grade because it was simply good, not great.  It certainly wasn't life altering.  I just thought it was an enjoyable read.  The main reason I went as high as a B?  The romance component of the book is endearing.  Mickey has been married twice and one of his ex-wives obviously holds the key to his heart.  The book focuses quite a lot on their relationship and leaves the conclusion of this relationship  unfinished, but in an uplifting way.  I hope they don't leave that out of the movie.  Even though the romance wasn't nearly the most important part, I thought that part of the story contained the most creative writing in the entire book.

Conclusion: Give the Lincoln Lawyer a read when you have a lazy weekend.  I promise you'll be glad you read it.  You won't say to yourself "GOOD GOLLY I'm glad I read that book,"  but you'll definitely say "now that was a fine way to spend a weekend."

1 comment:

  1. I havent read this one yet and now that I know they made it into a movie I am glad. I like to watch the movie first, then read the book. That way I enjoy both. IE: The Rainmaker, the book was awesome but I watched the movie afterwards and thought they had read a different book to make the movie because it was nothing like the book. If you like lawyer books have you read Lisa Scottoline? She is one of my all time favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete