Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Pregnant Wife Trying to Help...Even if Just a Little...

We have so much to do, and not one of them have anything to do with the baby coming OR with school.  It's just that time of year I suppose...everything piled up on us.  And of course, I can't help with any of them.  They're all big projects such as fixing the electrical sockets outside, the fact that the water keeps running in the master toilet, and the fact that our air conditioner was blowing hot air.

On Tuesday's, I'm off from 10:30 - 12:30 and since that isn't enough time to get to work, I usually stay at the school and study.  But on my way to school, I got to thinking how sorry I felt for Evan because of his long hours.  I added it up: 30 hours on Sunday/ Monday (call from 5:30 a.m. to 11:30 the next morning), over 11 hours per day Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and another 30 hours on Friday/ Saturday (and then instead of going home to sleep, he gets to go down the hall and to the birthing class with me after being up all night, oh boy!).  It got me mad!  What crap!  He's a medical student and he's working about 95 hours a week?  That's more than the damn residents!

Evan has a to-do list that just keeps getting longer (no wonder, when would he complete anything), so with those two hours, I decided it was time to help some with what I could.

I rushed to Target and bought some stickies to put Liliana's name on the toy chest (the last thing we had left to do in there), a new printer (since the current ones we had did not have drivers for Windows XP or Windows 7), and well...a new black cotton maternity dress for me (that wasn't so much to help Evan, but I do look rather nice in it, so I guess it KIND OF is for him right? haha).  On my way home, I saw somebody mowing someone else's yard and told him I'd pay him immediately if he could mow the lawn that afternoon. 

I went home, put the letters on the toy chest, put away my purchases, got cash for our new favorite grass cutter, scarfed down some lunch, and went back to class.

Evan got home right as I was leaving the law office and was so thrilled at all the little things I had done.  He really appreciated it.

I mean, after all, it gave him enough time to put some dirt in a hole Maggie had dug up, and spend over an hour fixing the toilet in the master bath.  Then we ate dinner, cleaned the dishes, and before we knew it, Evan had about 40 minutes before he had to be asleep to start the day over again...

So I didn't really make his evening that much better, but maybe I made a dent...oh, and our yard looks NICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment