Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Labor Story Part II

Around 4:30 a.m. on May 21st, we found out our false alarm wasn't false at all...we were about to be parents.

I walked over to my labor and delivery suite (which was really nice by the way) and got hooked up to my IV, got blood drawn, and basically got poked everywhere.  Before we knew it, I was being checked again and had progressed to 5 cm already.  They started asking me if I wanted an epidural.  This ended up being a tough decision.  I am not opposed to getting the drugs.  But on the other hand, I had progressed half way without drugs and managed through the pain really well.  Yes the contractions hurt, but I managed without too many moans and groans.  Once I progressed to 6 cm, they really started asking me..."umm...are you going to get one or not?"  I finally decided it was time to get the epidural because anesthesia could have an emergency and I would have been out of luck.  Turns out, getting the epidural was a pretty unlucky experience.

This guy walked in and gave me the epidural, which was by far the most painful part of my delivery.  I got incredibly nervous, started sweating profusely, and poor Evan had to hold my drenched body while the doctor kept trying to start the epidural.  The doctor, in my opinion a complete asshole who did a horrible job, had to try three times to start the catheter.  He said I was too tilted and moving too much, but honestly, I really don't think I was.  I know I'm terrified of needles, but I actually do an excellent job of holding still.  I would much rather hold still than be poked again.  Evan started getting upset at the anesthesiologist as well because he was the one holding me, so he knew I wasn't moving around.  Anyway, after what seemed like eternity, the epidural was apparently set.  Now, I had two hours ahead of me that consisted of my head feeling tingly, my left leg hurting because it was so asleep, and having complete feeling in my vagina (which was quite horrible when they placed the catheter and my epidural that was supposed to make my live better did absolutely nothing).

After calling the mean anesthesiologist back and him claiming that he had done the best job ever, we called another time and the new nicer anesthesiologist came in the room.  He gave me some tips on how to lay and ordered me some Zofran because I was really nauseated.  My OB came in again and started me on Pitocin just so I would progress fast enough for him to be able to deliver the baby (the med school graduated the afternoon that Liliana was born).  They thought the Pitocin wasn't working very well and put the dosage up to a 10 and the nurse then realized that my monitor wasn't reading the contractions very well and I was actually contracting all the time.  By now, the epidural was working so I only felt two contractions in the next 2 hours.

At around 1:15, Dr. Casanova came in to check me and sure enough, I was 10 cm and ready to push!!  I couldn't believe it.  It all happened so fast.  Dr. Casanova, unfortunately had to be at the graduation ceremony and was crushed that he couldn't deliver (as were we).  Fortunately though, everybody loved Evan during his OB rotation and we had OB's lining up wanting to deliver our little girl.  One of them was even the chairman of the department!  He's a really famous OB who really wants Evan in their residency program.  We chose Dr. Farooki, who had been our very close second choice to being our OB.  Turns out, the way it all worked was perfect. Throughout the labor, Dr. Casanova was calming and reassuring.  During the pushing, I needed someone strong and boy oh boy, Dr. Farooki didn't fail me.

Usually, the OB stays in the room during the last stages of delivery.  But again, everyone including Dr. Farooki, loved Evan in this rotation, so she stayed in there the entire time.  For a first time Mom, I think I did pretty well and pushed for less than an hour and a half.  I really didn't mind the pushing, until the last 3 contractions.  For the first hour, I thought it was really fun.  I liked the challenge and Dr. Farooki gave me a good workout!  She had me grab towels, hold her hands and pull against her, hold my legs up, have Evan hold my legs up, hold the stirrups etc.  I know what I'm describing sounds horrible, but it wasn' was so exciting.  After one contraction, they told me they saw hair, lots of it, and very dark.  I was ready to see her!! I was going to do my damned best to ensure we saw her ASAP...I wanted to see that hair!!

Before I knew it, Dr. Farooki was suiting up and getting everything ready for "the time."  They called the NICU team in (they were necessary since Liliana was premature) and then the pain started.  Those last 3 contractions hurt like hell!  I did a little bit of screaming ("ouch that really hurts!") through the pushes and then apologized between the contractions. They thought it was funny that I apologized and said I was tame compared to all the ladies they saw. Once the head was out, I freaked...I couldn't believe it!  Dr. Farooki had me push a few more times because Liliana's chest was the same measurements as her head.  But once she did that, she pulled out my little girl and I immediately started bawling.  She was the most gorgeous thing I had ever seen.  I will NEVER EVER forget that moment.  The NICU team immediately took Liliana and that's when I first heard her cry (again, an amazing sound).  The next 10 minutes were kind of a blur.  Dr. Farooki stitched up a slight labial tear (but not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree tears...she did such a great job during delivery!), delivered the placenta, etc. etc.  This part was not fun and hurt pretty bad.  She thinks my epidural was no longer helping me, so I probably did the last part of delivery and the after part naturally, but it didn't matter...I didn't care...I had Liliana right next to me and was beyond happy.

I cried for the next 20 minutes straight.  Evan says I kept saying "Oh Evan..."  I don't remember.  I just know I was happy.  Our little girl was here, healthy, beautiful, and perfect.   

No comments:

Post a Comment