In fact, it was good enough to warrant my designing this little sweety to help display our entree on Saturday afternoon.
I mean, if it's Elmo's favorite, how can it not be amazing, right?
I tweaked quite a few things so follow along if you'd like to try a fun twist on the Pioneer Woman's Macaroni and Cheese!
Elmo's Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
4 cups dried macaroni (about 1 16 oz box)
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 c. flour
2 cups 1% milk
1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3 c. grated cheese
1 teaspoon salt (or more if needed)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1. preheat oven to 350. Cook macaroni, still leaving it quite firm (in other words, instead of 9 minutes in boiling water, leave it for approximately 6 or 7 minutes).
2. in a small bowl, beat the one egg.
3. in a large pot, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter. then sprinkle in the flour. take your time with this and mix it constantly. do not let this burn.
do this for about 5 minutes, until your mixture looks like this (or a little thicker preferably)
4. Pour in the milk & dry mustard. Give it another 5 minutes (at least) of whisking constantly.
5. take 1/4 of this mixture and pour it in to the bowl with your beaten egg. (you are doing this to avoid having the egg turn in to a scrambled egg because of the heat)
6. pour the egg mixture in to the sauce and whisk until all smooth.
7. add the cheese (all except for 1/2 a cup). This will take at least 5 minutes. Make sure to stir often or the cheese will just stick to the bottom.
8. add the salt and pepper. take a taste. add more salt if necessary.
9. add the firm noodles. put the entire thing in to a pre-sprayed casserole dish. top with remaining cheese.
10. cook for approximately 20 - 25 minutes at 350 in the oven. get excited.
DIG IN! DEVOUR!